Fixed: OpLocks caused the corruptions/slowness (Was: How Samba let us down)

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Nov 22 16:47:02 GMT 2002

>>>>> "jra" == jra  <jra at dp.samba.org> writes:

jra> Clients commonly ignore oplock breaks because of network problems
jra> (borderline hubs etc.). Many people are suffering from network
jra> hardware that performs adequately in light use situations and
jra> fails under heavy load. I myself have ended up junking hubs with
jra> this problem.

I *still* don't understand how flaky hardware could be the problem.
TCP connections are supposed to be reliable.  If flaky hardware is
eating packets, then surely the sender, failing to get a timely ACK
will resend?  I can understand a flaky client getting the break and
not responding with the appropriate action, but I don't understand how
a hardware level problem can break TCP communication, except in the
obvious and persistent way of not having a connection at all.  Please
someone, wump me with a clue stick.

I have seen the problem on a small (two or three host) 100Mbit
switched network.

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more