witch dialect i can use

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Nov 22 03:58:01 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-22 at 14:20, tim_song at wistron.com.cn wrote:

> For some reason I have to develop a CIFS server on our PDA( frankly it is a
> Pocket PC 2002):
>
> I want to run this server on raw TCP/IP at port 445,I want this server to have
> the following
>
> Function:
>
> 1 It can announce itself in the lan network..
>
> 2 it can provide an IPC service.
>
> 3 it can share directory to other computer, I want it have share level security.
>
> 4 Explore in the shared tree.( support find first / find next operation )
>
> 5 Support common file operation Client can copy , move create file or
> directories on the server get file information etc.
>
> Now I can not decide witch Dialect I should support to meet my demand, I have
> not enough time if I can I don’t want to implement
>
> The NT LM 0.12 , who can tell me witch is the best Dialect for my demand and I
> want some information about the difference among
>
> These Dialect

Firstly, figure out if it's been done before - and look at what your
platform will support.  Implementing an SMB server from scratch is a
task that will take a *long* time.  You cannot go to LANMAN1 or earlier,
they don't support long filenames.

Samba has been ported to a large number of environments, including
recently to some really weird embedded 'almost POSIX' os.  The changes
required were quite minor, much to my surprise.

So your options are LANMAN2 or NT1.

See http://www.ubiqx.org/cifs/index.html for your essential reference on
these matters.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au