[Samba] multiple ldap servers

Jochen Schneider jochen.schneider at mediaways.net
Fri Nov 15 12:31:02 GMT 2002

[...]@@ -117,6 +117,9 @@
> +	while (!conn_established && next_token(&ptr, server, ", ", sizeof(server))) {
> +		DEBUG(10,("Initializing connection to %s on port %d\n", server, port ));
> +		if ((*ldap_struct = ldap_init(server, port)) == NULL)
> +			DEBUG(0, ("The LDAP server on %s is not responding !\n", server));
> +		else
> +			conn_established = 1;
> +	}
>
> -	if ((*ldap_struct = ldap_init(lp_ldap_server(), port)) == NULL)	{
> -		DEBUG(0, ("The LDAP server is not responding !\n"));
> +	if (!conn_established) {
> +		DEBUG(0, ("None of the specified LDAP servers are responding!\n"));
[...]

Hi Nathan,

it's probably easier than you imagined. ldap_open / lap_init accept
multiple hosts and each with individual port settings as a default
behaviour. See the ldap_open man-page for details.

----------------
(from man ldap_init)
ldap_open()  takes  host,  the hostname on which the LDAP server is
running, and port, the port number to which to connect.  If the default
IANA-assigned port of 389 is desired, LDAP_PORT should be specified for
port. The host parameter may contain  a  blank-separated  list  of
hosts  to  try to connect to, and each host may optionally by of the
form host:port.  If present, the :port overrides the port parameter to
ldap_open().

hth,
 Jochen

           jochen.schneider at mediaways.net
<< 'Doing linear scans over an associative array is like trying to club
 someone to death with a loaded Uzi.' >>  - Larry Wall