NULL sessions - Listing shares anonymously - restrict anonymous

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Fri Nov 15 04:13:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 08:50:47PM -0500, Yannick Mercier wrote:

>     I am running 2.2.5 and I would like to know if the
> "restrict anonymous" as been implemented correctly, as it was supposed
> to behave from the start, in order to deny
> ALL anonymous connections as stated in the man :
> "When restrict anonymous is yes, all anonymous connections are denied no
> matter what they are for."

In the Samba 2.2 branch the 'restrict anonymous' parameter behaves as
per the manual page.  It's broken and unlikely to be fixed.

> Ive been reading some dev mailing lists and someone said that there would be
> 0, 1 , 2 as
> possible values to the "restrict anonymous" option, as it been done yet ?

In the Samba HEAD and 3.0 branches however the parameter behaves more
like the RestrictAnonymous registry setting.  Only 'restrict anonymous = 1'
is currently supported though.

Tim.