ldap_nua requires guest exist and have rid 501?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Nov 12 02:18:59 GMT 2002

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Because the Guest account is a 'well known' account, and as such
> should have a fixed RID.  This is enforced via the passdb backend
> because to do otherwise would have nasty consequences when mapping
> back and forth between uids and RIDs.  (We are working hard to ensure
> that there is only one point at which uids and RIDs are mapped, and
> currently this is in the passdb.)

On a related note, does SAMBA still use the guest account in place of
the (unkown) internal user for enumerating shares?

An NT client can not browse a SAMBA server with the guest account
disabled, but having a guest account enabled is not required on an NT
account to do the same thing.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only