samba-head bug relating to windows special chars (1/2)
matthew at arts.usyd.edu.au
Wed Nov 6 20:49:00 GMT 2002
Quoting jra at dp.samba.org:
> On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 07:01:55AM +1100, Matthew Geier wrote:
> > I'm using Samba 3.0 on a 'production' server as users kept trying to put
> > Chinese file names on the server with some what less than sucessful
> > Telling them to use English names on the server didn't help, as the
> > script ends up in their profile anyway and the profiles would fail to
> > We had less than expected pain with corrupt file names when I changed
> > server. Most of the problems seem to be related to '3 1/2' in peoples
> > But it didn't happen to every body. I can only assume the others never
> > files to their floppy drives. :-)
> This should be ok on 3.0 so long as you set the smb.conf to store
> all files in utf8 character set on the disk.
Yes - it is currently working quite well, I figured the switch over pain was
worth it to stop the Asian language folks from getting into trouble with
'corrupt' profiles all the time.
Note - our 'PDC' is 2.2.x on a different box.
There is a gterminal 'escape code' you have to run before it will display
UTF-8, although I have not yet got Chinese to display on my Linux box. :-)
(I can't read Chinese anyway - so its only an excercise in 'can I really do it).
Matthew Geier matthew at arts.usyd.edu.au
Arts IT Unit +61 2 9351 4713
This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/
More information about the samba-technical