upgrade to 3.0alpha20: accented chars in filenames unreadable

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Nov 6 20:04:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

At this location:
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba-technical/2002-October/040097.html,
Gerald (Jerry) Carter  jerry at samba.org asks if anyone can comment.

It is a manifestation of the same problem I was seeing with files in
profiles.

To refresh your memory, here is the issue:

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:

> Upon upgrading from 2.2.5 to 3.0alpha20 on Debian unstable, filenames
> with accented characters (ie: éàî etc.) became unreadable. For example
> in W2K a filename previously called "résumé.xls" became "r" when looking
> at the samba share; and the filename is impossible to modify from windows:
> samba log says "file not found". From the shell the file looks like
> "r?sum?.xls" but the "?" are actually 0x83.
>
> Now, the file contents are intact and if modified from the unix command
> line to non-accented they become accessible again from windows.
>
> FWIW I used the following command to sanitize all filenames:
>
> % rename -v 's/\x8c/i/g;s/[\x83\x8a\x82]/e/g' **/*
>
> I know I'm using an "alpha" samba and "unstable" debian, but still I'd
> like to understand what happened, if possible.
>
> Is this a known issue?

It has to do with upgrading and the fact that Samba-head (and thus
Samba-3.0) now uses UTF-8 for pass-through file names. This will differ
from what was originally used, esp if nothing was set before.

Steve Langasek has just posted some scripts that can do some level of
conversion.

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,