Samba Help !!!

Rana Huq rana_huq at americanmsi.com
Tue Nov 5 19:40:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

I am trying to use samba 2.2.6 (Under RedHat 7.3) to replace a NT file
server.

But I would like to have the folder and file security as offered by NT.

I also like to validate the domain users via NT 4.0 SP6a domain.

I am having hard time making it work.

Please help....

My smb.conf file looks like this.

[global]

   workgroup = AMSIDOMN

   netbios name = ISLINUX

;   allow trusted domains = yes

;   nt acl support = yes

   server string = Test Server %v

   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

   max log size = 50

   security = domain

   password server = *

   encrypt passwords = yes

   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

   dns proxy = no

   large readwrite = Yes

==============================

 [data]

    comment = Data Folder

    path = /usr/data

    read only = no

    create mask = 0765

    directory mask = 0777

    delete readonly = yes

    writable = yes

Samba server joined the NT domain successfully.

I can view the samba server and the data folder but it still asks me for
user name and password when I am trying to access the data folder.

I would like to maintain the user name and password only on NT domain
controller.

Also I would like to optimize this samba server for Microsoft network.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Forgive me, I am a new user as far as samba and Linux goes.

Thanks in advance,

Rana Huq