smbfs missing files

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Nov 5 17:59:36 GMT 2002

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Jeff Ames wrote:

> This sounds like the same problem as the bug reports 21471, 21407, 21561,
> and 21694 discuss, but I couldn't find a solution anywhere.  I'm just

I guess I should update those...

> writing to add a data point, and also to ask whether there is any known
> fix or workaround for this at the time.  If this would be better submitted
> as a bug report instead of this list, please let me know.

There is a known problem with win2k listings. It doesn't like us using the
continue bit at all. You should be able to trigger this with smbclient
too.

Try this patch for 2.4.19
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbfs-2.4.19-rc1-ALL.patch.gz

It changes smbfs to use the same method as win2k does when listing files
on another win2k machine (there is a lot of other stuff in there too,
including >2G files and unicode).

Note that there is a known report of this breaking listings vs NT4, which
is why the change hasn't been made in the official kernel yet.

I have been meaning to compare what win2k sends to and NT4 when listing
and see if it does anything differently from win2k<->win2k. I guess it
could be a NT4/non-unicode-client issue.

/Urban