Backup browser question.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sun Nov 3 04:53:00 GMT 2002

The rule of thumb, as I've seen it stated in some olde Windows95
documentation, is that following the election of the Local Master Browser,
one of the other Potential Browsers is selected to be a Backup Browser.
For every 32 nodes on the subnet (how is this determined) there is supposed
to be yet another Backup Browser.

That's what the docs say anyway.  What I find annoying is that I cannot
get W/NT4 to select another node as a backup browser.  This suggests that
the "real" formula is

  Backup Browser count = 0 + trunc( nodes / 32 )

instead of

  Backup Browser count = 1 + trunc( nodes / 32 )

Thing is, I want to take a look at the protocol used to update the Backup
Browsers from the LMB's list.

Any clues anyone?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org