So, what can a program that can modify the SIDs in NTUSER.DAT do?

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Sat Nov 2 07:28:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Andy Thomas wrote:

>   We have just set up a test domain, with a separate domain SID and separate
> user profile area.  We would like to copy existing profiles for some
> users to the test domain, and change the SID to match.  The program you are
> describing sounds perfect for this.  We have a need for this soon - if you
> need help testing or debugging, let me know.

OK, the profiles program now works, AFAIKS.

1. You have to run it twice to pickup both the User SID and the Group SID.

2. The target directory on the workstation (Documents and
Settings\user...) might have the wrong permissions on it, because it was
owned by a different SID.

3. If you have a file in profiles/SendTo/31/2 Floppy ... (where the 1/2
shows up in Windows as the 1/2 symbol), it will caues problems, and Samba
has a bug, so remove it.

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,