MACHINE.SID and tdb's

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Fri May 31 07:31:03 GMT 2002

Hi,

I need to change the SID of a Samba server I have running. This used to
be relatively straightforward - one simply shut down Samba, backed up
the MACHINE.SID file, edited it to reflect the new SID for the machine,
and started up again.

However, recent versions of Samba have done away with the MACHINE.SID
file in favour of secrets.tdb. I've looked at the tdb tools in the
source/tdb directory shipped with Samba, but it's unobvious to me how to
go about changing the SID. Is there a simple way to change this
information? I've found reference to a tdbimport and tdbexport, but
mailing list threads seem to suggest that they are imperfect. I had old
versions (I think I got them with TNG), but they won't even open
secrets.tdb.

Any help/hints - before I go of on a wild goose chase - would be much
appreciated.

Mike.