Profile creation

Nathaniel N.Petersen (CNS Student Support) cthulu at student.cns.uni.edu
Fri May 31 06:46:54 GMT 2002

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 12:09:25PM +0530, Navneet Karnani wrote:
> Should you be deleting the user profile completely from the server, including
> the user credentials. The problem you encounter, looks like, windows is not able
> to find the directory. So, if you want to simulate a new user, do it in style.
> Create a new user the right way and do it. I think it should work.
>
> - Navneet

While you are correct on the point of creating a new user in style, it
is still important to find a solution to corrupted profile creation.
Consider:  User logs in using an NT system.  The *cough* idiot downloads
an infected email, or better yet, just found this nifty program called
regedit.  When the user logs off, this corrupted registry information is
saved to the PDC.  I get a complaint a few hours later that the user
can't log in again.  The obvious fix is to back up his/her profile info
and then delete it.  Next time the user logs on, the profile is
recreated (without reg errors).  Then all I have to do is copy over the
users favorites, My Documents, etc.