known BUG "multi-byte character set in usernames"

Juergen Hasch Hasch at t-online.de
Fri May 31 03:43:01 GMT 2002

Am Freitag, 31. Mai 2002 11:58 schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> Juergen Hasch wrote:
> >
> > I will generate a complete patch if the Samba team thinks it's worth
> > considering and I am not completely on the wrong track :-)
>
> What the heck are you trying here?

The problem is like this:
Without patch:
hasch at tower:~> getent passwd
DOMAIN\juhasch:x:10004:10000:Jrgen Hasch:/home/DOMAIN/juhasch:/bin/false

with patch:
hasch at tower:~> getent passwd
DOMAIN\juhasch:x:10004:10000:Jürgen Hasch:/home/DOMAIN/juhasch:/bin/false

i.e. I get the full user name including umlaute. This also shows up in the
windows client's security settings correct now.

Now I never would have brought this up because I don't care to much for 2.2
and I was just curious when I made the patches. But since someone asked :-)
The names/groups are transferred by rpc and converted from unicode like this:
	unistr2_to_ascii(t, &info1.str[j].uni_acct_name, sizeof(pstring));
Adding the line
	dos_to_unix(t);
makes the umlaute appear.
Now the charset conversion may be totally wrong there, I believed it to be
*easiest* patch.

> Can you resend me the patch you were doing for HEAD, and I'll try to get
> that in.  In the meantime, this looks bogus.

In a few minutes.

...Juergen