hash2 mangling alghorithm

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Fri May 31 03:28:01 GMT 2002

I just want to warn people that want to use the new hashing algorithm
for mangled names.

And that note should also be put in the man page IMO.

You must understand that changing the hashing algorithm on a production
server may have unwanted side effects (this is why we maintain by
default hash and not hash2 and why it was not back ported to 2.2
initially).

Windows clients may save all around (registry, config files, ecc..)
mangled paths to files need for programs to work correctly.

If you change the hash algorithm these paths will become unusable as the
new mangled name will be different.

I would advice to use the new hashing algorithm in new installations and
switch to the new one for old ones only if really necessary to make
things work (lot of conflicts), and in this case be prepared to
reinstall some app or manually change some registry/config file to
reflect the new mangled names.

So do not just "try" this option, plan to use it carefully.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce