Stablising the winbind interface for squid's NTLM code

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Thu May 30 13:44:04 GMT 2002

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 07:38:00AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > An oft-requested feature for FreeTDS (an LGPL client library for MS SQL
> > and Sybase servers) is domain login support.  It would be nice to be
> > able to leverage the Samba team's work in the NTLMSSP department, rather
> > than reimplementing it from the ground-up.  Is there any chance that
> > this (or a) standalone binary might be useful for the client side of
> > NTLMSSP authentication?

> I'm not currently proposing the creation of a client-side, but doing it
> in samba would not pose a particular problem.  Of course it is one thing
> to propose, quite another to actually implement...  But I do think that
> this work (particularly the server end, but also the client) should live
> in the samba tree.

I can think of plenty of areas where this would be useful on the client
side as well as on the server side -- Unix web /browsers/ being yet
another example.  I'll probably wait until you've got something cooking
in CVS for the server side, and then try to look at a client-side
implementation.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer