Microsoft's Dfs - GPL LICENSE ISSUE

David W. Chapman Jr. dwcjr at inethouston.net
Thu May 30 05:31:01 GMT 2002

> > > It is GPL code. I don't think it can be used in the FreeBSD kernel
> > > (correct me if I'm wrong Steve).
> >
> > I don't think this will be a problem.  We currently have a GPL math
> > emulator in our kernel, just not enabled by default
> >
> > options         GPL_MATH_EMULATE        #Support for x87 emulation via
> >                                         #new math emulator
> >
> > If it can be loaded as a kernel module it will be even less of a
> > problem, but I don't know the specifics about the program in question.
>
> Uhmm that's not entirely true.
> There is a problem. When you distribute a kernel in which that module
> has been linked (statically or dynamically) you have to release the
> whole kernel under the GPL terms if you distribute it in binary form

Even if it has been dynamically linked after the fact and the kernel
was not originally distributed with this module?

> (you must distribute the source of the whole kernel or offer a written
> offer to give the source at no cost but that of the medium).
> not doing so or offering only the GPL code part as source would be a
> copyright violation of the owners of the code of the module.

How does this gpl program differ from the gpl math emulator we
distribute with our kernel?

--
David W. Chapman Jr.
dwcjr at inethouston.net	Raintree Network Services, Inc. <www.inethouston.net>