Microsoft DFS and the CIFS VFS

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Thu May 30 01:25:02 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 22:33, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> I talked to a few FreeBSD developers and I don't think this will be too much
> of a problem.  They pointed me towards the GPL math emulator that can
> be compiled into the kernel and compiles with FreeBSD.  When you are
> finished I will have them review this again to make sure having GPL
> in the kernel isn't a problem.  If we can make this a kernel loadable
> module on FreeBSD, I don't see any problem at all though.

Sorry to stress on this point, but it is a problem!
You must be sure to make people understand that when that module is
distributed with the kernel, the whole kernel must be released under the
GPL terms, so it is NOT possible for example to distribute both the
GPLed module AND a non-GPL compatible module together.

As the FreeBSD license allow any kind of code to be linked with
(statically or dynamically) you have to pay attention.

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399