Microsoft's Dfs

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Thu May 30 01:13:03 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 21:46, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 12:43:51PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > It is GPL code. I don't think it can be used in the FreeBSD kernel
> > (correct me if I'm wrong Steve).
>
> I don't think this will be a problem.  We currently have a GPL math
> emulator in our kernel, just not enabled by default
>
> options         GPL_MATH_EMULATE        #Support for x87 emulation via
>                                         #new math emulator
>
> If it can be loaded as a kernel module it will be even less of a
> problem, but I don't know the specifics about the program in question.

Uhmm that's not entirely true.
There is a problem. When you distribute a kernel in which that module
has been linked (statically or dynamically) you have to release the
whole kernel under the GPL terms if you distribute it in binary form
(you must distribute the source of the whole kernel or offer a written
offer to give the source at no cost but that of the medium).

not doing so or offering only the GPL code part as source would be a
copyright violation of the owners of the code of the module.

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399