Samba as a gateway to OpenAFS

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Wed May 29 03:45:02 GMT 2002

Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, my interest in this is strictly academic, since my
> > > current employer doesn't use AFS and won't any time soon, either.
> > > Nevertheless, I'm quite pleased to see development in this area.  I
> > > assume that as a large university, you have a need for supporting old
> > > Windows clients that precludes a pure Active Directory+AFS style of
> > > integration (NT password hashes only)?
>
> > Is there credtioal forwardation i smb/cifs or is there a need to send that
> > out of band ?
>
> Ah, of course credential forwarding/proxying would be a requirement for
> making this work without giving the gateway special privileges; I'd
> completely overlooked that.  I'm afraid I don't know the answer, though.
> Perhaps someone currently doing Samba 3.0 work has run into this and can
> say?

I see no reason why this would not be possible.  We would need to do a
little bit of work on the smbd side of things, but credential forwarding
is pretty standard.  This assumes either a AD domain, or Samba modified
to correctlly function with krb5 but without AD (which also implies
windows clients joined to such a domain).

> > The solution I've been using is giving the samba gateway priveliges into
> > the afs-space (by storing the afs KeyFile on the gateway and cooking cred's
> > on the fly).
>
> Hmm, this solution certainly seems less bad than many of the other
> possibilities.  I'm sure I'd rather trust one server with full access to
> the filesystem, than trusting that server with full access to the
> plaintext passwords of all users.

Yes, most of the current solutions are pretty nasty...

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net