Changing domain passwords

James Willard james at whispering.org
Tue May 28 14:55:02 GMT 2002

Hello all,

I'm trying to use smbpasswd to change the password for a user who's a member
of an Active Directory domain (running in NT domain compatibility mode). The
purpose of this is to have a web interface to allow users to change their
passwords and keep track of various things like that. I had this working
previously with a -really- old version of rpcclient that still had the
'ntpass' command. I believe that rpcclient might have even been from an
early samba-tng. That broke when we went to AD, so I'm trying to use newer
versions of Samba, I tried 2.2.4 and the 3.0 HEAD branch.

The problem is that I need to be able to change a users' password AS another user with administrator rights. Users have the ability to change their own password disabled so that they must use the web interface. With rpcclient from samba-tng, I could connect to IPC$ as administrator and then use "ntpass <user>" to change their password. Is there an alternative method in the newer AD-aware versions of Samba? Its rpcclient no longer has the 'ntpass' command and smbpasswd doesn't support connecting as another user, from what I can tell.

Thanks,

James Willard
james at whispering.org