Pages in a printjob

Travis Freeland travis at deakin.edu.au
Fri May 24 12:15:02 GMT 2002

Off topic because it's not samba.. but we had a samba based one going
first.. And ended up deciding it was not necessary to place another
middleman between the client and the printer.  Macs/Windows/Unix all
have pretty good implementations of lpr.

We put in a solution based around lprng and an accounting server that
the 'achk' and 'af' functionality in lprng talk to.
For page counting we simply ask the printer how many pages it printed
after the job is complete.  This causes a 20 second or so delay between
jobs which most users don't notice.  We've had to be very picky on the
printers that we use for this though.. we've found most of the lexmark
range to be very good with their pjl page counts.

Travis