Printer administration problem in Samba 2.2.4

Samuli A Valo savalo at cs.Helsinki.FI
Fri May 24 10:30:02 GMT 2002

I am currently having similar problem. Our enviroment consist of native
NT4 pdc+bdc and several samba (2.2.4) servers (running under Linux)  doing
actual work as member servers of the domain :)

There are problems with viewing and setting printer properties on the
server. These problems seems to fall to two cases:

1. When viewing properties from w2k-machine, following error msg pops up:
   "Printer properties cannot be displayed. Operation could not be
   completed."

   This seems to happen only on the printers, which have drivers
   assigned, and not on all of those. This also seems to be
   non-deterministic, ie. it does not happen all the times...

2. When properties can be viewed, if any setting from  Advanced field are
   changed it'll likely fail with following error msg: "Printer setting
   could not be saved. Operation could not be completed" This does not
   seem to happen on the first try on newly added printer, but on some
   printers this happens every time after that first change. And on some
   printers it happens only from time to time... Strange!

Only real clue about the problem is that security tab is not able to view
SID of domain administrator in text form - it only shows SID in numerical
form. However as current owner of the item it shows that SID as text
(DOMAIN\Administrator)... So my guess is that it might be related to some
strange race condition in client side of connection, with some relation to
security features...

I straced the samba session, and it showed that samba could actually open
all the files it needed, and looking through samba logs did not provide
any clues nor intresting error messages...

Does anyone have any idea, what is wrong. I'm also willing to debug this
problem further, if just someone could provide me with some hints for
where to start... And I can provide samba log+other information if it
helps!

Well, at least I'll have to continue investigating this problem next week,
our two new printers should really get soon to production use!

-- Samuli Valo               |  email: Samuli.Valo at helsinki.fi     --
-- University of Helsinki    |  http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/savalo --
-- Department of CS          |  mobile: + 358 40 582 9016          --