Samba as a gateway to OpenAFS

Steve Holstead Steve.Holstead at ualberta.ca
Fri May 24 09:48:02 GMT 2002

Unfotunately, we have the need to offer AFS space to our users via SAMBA.
In doing so, we have had to introduce a number of patches to accomplish
this task. The methodology was discussed at the LISA 2000 conference re:
http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa2000/full_papers/beck/beck_html/index.html

The introduction of the fokstraut DB allowed us to store the plaintext
password along with the HASH forms.

I would like to say that since that time, I have introduced an additional
module to re-authenticate those users who insist on not logging out. This
module will ensure that their token sticks around.

It is my intention to rid myself of the fokstraut DB by establishing a
"trust" between the AFS server and my samba server such that I can get a
token without having to send a clear text password. This will allow me to
migrate all fokstraut DB records to the SAMBA password tdb.

I am also working on a routine that ties into our password management
functions (ie our krb5, krb4, and AFSkrb). This will enable the creation
of a passwd tdb record which stays in sync with all the other passwd
records.

To re-phrase, I am trying to:

1. Get rid of AFS's need for plaintext passwords.
2. Establish a "registration" mechanism for new samba users and those that
   change their passwords.
3. Turn on encrypted password support.

The patches that will give you AFS support with plaintext turned on can be
found at www.ualberta.ca/~sholstea

The routines that will allow me to turn on encrypted pasword support for
AFS users are still under developement.