Pages in a printjob

Alexander Bokovoy a.bokovoy at sam-solutions.net
Fri May 24 06:34:01 GMT 2002

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 02:55:58PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> I'm working on a system where customers have to pay for pages they
> print, and as such it is essential that I have the pagecount of
> a printjob before I send it to the printer.
>
> Looking at the samba sources the number of pages in a printjob is
> sent as part of the job_info_2 structure and extracted by
> smb_io_job_info_2(). What I don't see is what is done with that
> information. Ideally I would like to have all the information
> in that struct available in the print command.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed? I'ld prefer not to have
> to dive into the samba code myself, but if necessary and someone
> can give me some pointer where I'll need to look I can do that.
Look at the talk given by Kurt Pfeifle at SambaXP:
"CUPS and Samba: a network Postscript RIP for non-PS printers"
http://www.sambaxp.org/samba_XP_2002/pfeifle.tgz
There were some thoughts how to do it outside Samba using CUPS.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Software architect and analyst             // SaM-Solutions Ltd.