Samba 3.0 won't work with smbclient using Kerberos.

P Ranjit Kumar ranjit at cup.hp.com
Mon May 20 11:33:01 GMT 2002

Thanks for the reply, Andrew.

I could get Samba to work with Kerberos (win2k KDC).

I think there is a problem with the way Samba implemented Kerberos key
storage. Other Kerberos applications running on the same machine can't use
the same key that samba uses because the host principal (samba gets it from
Win2K KDC) is stored in secrets.tdb instead of krb5.keytab file.

If I create another account for the same host in Win2K KDC to be able to use
with other Kerberos applications, then Samba won't work because Win2k
generates encrypted messages using the new key (different  from the one
stored in secrets.tdb).

I am currently trying to find a compromise, if you have already worked on it
or have ideas let me know. I can spend time on it.

Thanks,
Ranjit