SV_TYPE_PRINTQ_SERVER flag always true?

James Guzicki - IMG jaguzick at dec.state.ny.us
Mon May 20 09:42:14 GMT 2002

This is just to update the technical people here on what I have done.  I
commented out the line in  Samba
2.2.4  param/loadparm.c     'default_server_announce |=
SV_TYPE_PRINTQ_SERVER;'   This successfully removed the server from the
printer browser when using the "Add Printer" wizard.  It also did not
affect actual printing to the server, as it can still be set up if you know
the name of the printer you want to print to.  This works great for us
because, for the most part, the greater than 3000 users we have here should
not ever print to the samba servers.  I have learned if you give users the
ability to do something they shouldn't, they will go ahead and do it.  If I
could make a suggestion, maybe this SV_TYPE should be a configurable option
through smb.conf.  But then again, I don't think may people will ever
really want to turn this off, we just happen to be a unique case. :)

James Guzicki - IMG