Buglist to fix before 2.2.5

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Fri May 17 18:44:02 GMT 2002

Richard Sharpe wrote:

> On Fri, 17 May 2002, Ludolf Holzheid wrote:

> > > If ping works, and telnet doesn't, it would seem that your telnet is not
> > > using the correct libraries.
> >
> > To my experience, telnet wants to get/resolve the DNS names of the
> > peer (client or server, respectively) while ping is happy with the IP
> > addresses.
>
> In the context of the request, he clearly must be talking about giving
> ping and telnet names.
>
> Since both should be using gethostbyname, and gethostbyname is clearly
> calling the entry points in libnss_wins.so in one case, I wonder what is
> happening in the other case.

Telnet is trying be IPv6 compatible, and is using a different nsswitch
function.  A patch went to the list quite a few months ago, and I think
it even got applied, but somehow it got backed out.

In any case, the fix is to provide the correct nsswitch function for any
address class, but only implement it for IPv4.