Precise meaning of container inherit?

Eric Lee Steadle esteadle at spinnakernet.com
Fri May 17 15:33:03 GMT 2002

I'm studying ACL inheritence right now and am quite familiar with the intracacies.

CONTAINER_INHERIT_ACE means that child containers created within a parent container should inherit the ACE that the
CONTAINER_INHERIT_ACE bit is set upon.

So, for example, if I had an ACE on my directory (a container object) that denied everyone DELETE permission, and the
CONTAINER_INHERIT_ACE bit was set, then a sub-directory (also a container object) created in this directory should also have an ACE
that denies everyone DELETE permission. Files (which are not containers, but are objects in W2K parlance) created in this directory
would NOT necessarily inherit this ACE.

Good Reference: "Programming Windows Security" by Keith Brown; Addison Wesley, 2000.

HTH,

ERX