Too Many Open Files on 2.2.4???

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue May 14 17:11:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 09:54:21AM +0930, Tristan Ball wrote:
> Guys, I'm getting the following in some of my logs:
>
> [2002/05/14 08:36:21, 0] lib/debug.c:reopen_logs(349)
>   Unable to open new log file /var/log/samba/log.dancer: Too many open
> files
> [2002/05/14 08:36:21, 0] lib/username.c:map_username(130)
>   can't open username map /etc/samba/smb.user.map. Error Too many open
> files
>
> However I can't see how I'd be anyware near the limit of file
> discriptors. I've used plimit, ulimit, and MAX_OPEN_FILES in local.h to
> up every limit I can find, and it's still happening!
>
> Host is solaris 2.8, samba 2.2.4 from cvs. Clients are Win nt/2k,
> running clearcase 4.2.
>
> If I pick one of the samba processes thats given log errors, and run
> pfiles on it, It shows 1303 open files, but an rlimit of 20000.

This is probably the somewhat braindead Solaris STDIO library
biting you. It cannot cope with FILE * pointers if the underlying
fd number opened is over 256 (it uses an unsigned char for the
fd member of the FILE struct).

This is why tridge wrote the XFILE library for HEAD (3.0). I
believe there are replacement stdio libraries for Solaris that
don't have this problem but - try forcing Samba to link with
something like "sfio" for example.

Does anyone know when Solaris will fix this problem ?

Jeremy.