Printing in Samba 2.2.4 at a HP-UX system

Claus Svarer csvarer at nru.dk
Tue May 14 00:59:02 GMT 2002

Hi

As I described in a previous mail I have had a lot of problems using the
Samba facilities for supporting printer drivers in a Windows 2000
environment. The Samba server v. 2.2.4 is running at a HP-UX system
using
the printing = hpux and the printcap name = lpstat as all other sysv
systems. This works fine for sending the network names to the windows
clients, and printing to the share, but as soon as I try to configure
one
of the printers or downloading a driver for the printer I get an error
message
like:

"Printer properties can not be displayes. Operation could not be
completed".

I then got the idea to configure a printer manually (as a printer
share).
Doing this I suddenly got access to configuration of the printer and I
got the possibility to download the printer driver to the server!

Does anyone know what the problem in the original configuration with a
printers share compared to the new share ps2_2 are? These parts of the
smbconf file are attached below:

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /usr/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[ps2_2]
        path = /usr/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        printer name = ps2
        printer driver file =

Hope that someone can give me a hint of where and how to solve this
problem, because it would be quit annoying if I should remove the
printers
share and manually define and update all shares for our printers

Best regards
Claus Svarer

---

                               -
 _____________________________o
o__________________________________________

L                                           |
| Claus Svarer
\_/                                          |
| Neurobiology Research Unit   | Phone  : +45 3545
6716                    |
| National University Hospital
| Rigshospitalet, build. 9201  | Fax    : +45 3545
6713                    |
| Blegdamsvej 9
| DK-2100 Copenhagen O         | e-mail :
csvarer at pet.rh.dk                |