Too Many Open Files on 2.2.4???

Tristan Ball tristanb at vsl.com.au
Mon May 13 17:03:02 GMT 2002

Guys, I'm getting the following in some of my logs:

[2002/05/14 08:36:21, 0] lib/debug.c:reopen_logs(349)
  Unable to open new log file /var/log/samba/log.dancer: Too many open
files
[2002/05/14 08:36:21, 0] lib/username.c:map_username(130)
  can't open username map /etc/samba/smb.user.map. Error Too many open
files

However I can't see how I'd be anyware near the limit of file
discriptors. I've used plimit, ulimit, and MAX_OPEN_FILES in local.h to
up every limit I can find, and it's still happening!

Host is solaris 2.8, samba 2.2.4 from cvs. Clients are Win nt/2k,
running clearcase 4.2.

If I pick one of the samba processes thats given log errors, and run
pfiles on it, It shows 1303 open files, but an rlimit of 20000.

I've just upped the log level in samba, and the interesting thing that I
see is that a successfull open call contains a relatively small number
of open files, but a very high fsp->fnum. Is this important??? :-)

I've attached a snippet of a level 3 log, from the last successfull open
to a "too many open" error. Apologies for the binary attachment!

I'm still looking into this, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to
hear them!

Thanks,