winbind authentication

Juergen Hasch Hasch at t-online.de
Sun May 12 05:05:01 GMT 2002

Hi Noel,

Am Sonntag, 12. Mai 2002 13:39 schrieb Noel Kelly:
> Downloaded 2.2.4 yesterday and it without your patch it works for me:
>
> [noel at belly noel]$ wbinfo -a uk+nkelly%password
> plaintext password authentication succeeded
> error code was NT_STATUS_OK (0x0)
> challenge/response password authentication succeeded
> error code was NT_STATUS_OK (0x0)
> [noel at belly noel]$
> [noel at belly noel]$ wbinfo -a uk+nkelly%wrongpassword
> plaintext password authentication failed
> error code was NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD (0xc000006a)
> Could not authenticate user uk+nkelly%password with plaintext password
> challenge/response password authentication failed
> error code was NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD (0xc000006a)
> Could not authenticate user uk+nkelly with challenge/response
> [noel at belly noel]$

I think I wasn't clear enough. The problem is that winbind itself is not
authenticating to the W2K server. Per default winbind uses empty
fields for user and password to connect to the W2K server. You need to
change this sometimes to get user and group lists.
Therefore one needs "wbinfo -A user%password" to store user and password in
the secrets tdb.

...Juergen