Samba 2.2.3a --with-nisplussam

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Wed May 8 06:10:02 GMT 2002

Toomas Soome wrote:

> On Mon, 6 May 2002, Gerald Carter wrote:
>
> > Sure, but it is still in maintaince mode in 2.2.x
> > Toomas has been good about fixing bugs, but he has left
> > the University now as I underatand it.  Are you saying that you
> > want to maintain it?  Someone will have to pick it up
> > for HEAD/3.0 or else it will get weeded out by the nature
> > of changing branches.
> >

> hey, I'm still alive and able to use vi and debugger:) but of course I
> have nothing against if somebody wants to do more active development with
> this piece of code.

I'm not quite sure what Jerry meant - but this is my point of view:

For Samba 3.0, I would like pdb_nisplus upgraded from a compile-time
option to a pdb module, for use with pdb_plugin.  Then it can be
effectivly maintained either in 'examples/pdb' or external to the tree.

I don't think leaving it current compile time option in 3.0 is a good
idea - it is the only one left - the rest are run-time configueration
options, compile time just changes if it builds.  Finally, I think it
would probably get much better 'care and feeding' outside the tree.

If you are willing to help with this, then great!

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net