6s Delay when accessing share

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon May 6 11:10:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002, Christoph Kaegi wrote:

> On 2002.05.04 04:34, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> >
> > Well, all of the stuff you talk about below is actually RPC traffic. So,
> > the question is, why does it need to do this stuff prior to copying a file
> > to a share or accessing a share.
> >
> > Do you have a trace that you want to share [pun intended] around?
> >

> Yes, there is a snoop trace at:
>
> www.zhwin.ch/~kgc/accessToMyDocuments.snoop.gz

Hmmm, I have looked at this trace (Ethereal is great), and it is very
interesting.

What version of Samba? Have you made any mods to Samba?

The trace seems to show that your client is trying to access
\private\desktop.ini, which fails in wierd ways (STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE),
even though the file was opened successfully.

The client then tries to do a bunch of RPCs, all of which fail trying to
bind to the RPC operation with the same status.

What does the log.$client or log.smbd show with respect to these? It tries
to bind to the pipe \srvsvc and fails with the same response all the way
to the end of the trace. ...

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,