RPC errors in 2.2.3a and 2.2.4

Gerald Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon May 6 08:34:20 GMT 2002

On Fri, 3 May 2002, James F. Hranicky wrote:

>     OS:		FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #12: Mon Apr 29 09:57:49 EDT 2002
>     Samba:	2.2.3a / 2.2.4
>     Printing:	CUPS 1.1.14
>
> According to the logs for 2.2.4, I've been asked to send this message
> to samba-technical. I'm having problems with setdriver and enumprinters,
> as well as a problem getting printer properties from win2k after upgrading
> to 2.2.4 .
>
> SETDRIVER:
> ----------
>
> (Note: I'm setting the drivers for all my printers to Apple drivers
>  so Windows will generate PS instead of PCL so I can count pages. For
>  all I know, this is causing some kind of problem)
>
> When I run the following command from rpcclient
>
>     setdriver ps502 "Apple LaserWriter II NT v47.0"
>
> I get the following error in the logs:
>
>     [2002/05/03 12:44:07, 0] rpc_parse/parse_spoolss.c:spoolss_io_devmode(651)
>       spoolss_io_devmode: Unknown specversion [0x0]!

Are you sure you are using 2.2.4?  I just fixed this prior to release.

> On the client side, I get this:
>
>     rpcclient $> setdriver ps502 "Apple LaserWriter II NT v47.0"
>     prs_mem_get: reading data of size 4 would overrun buffer.
>     zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  rpcclient ash
>
> Running a getprinter gives this interesting result:
>
>     rpcclient $> getprinter ps502
>         flags:[0x800000]
>         name:[\\ash\ps502]
>         comment:[®P-êäå.êp;c]

I need a debug level 10 of the both the client and server logs
against a 2.2.4 installation to debug this.

cheers, jerry

> ENUMPRINTERS:
> -------------
>
> Under 2.2.3a, enumprinters gives the following error:
>
>     rpcclient $> enumprinters
>     result was NT_STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL
>
> Interestingly enough, this problem showed up "after a while", perhaps due to
> adding more printers.

Yes.

> Under 2.2.4, I get this from the client:
>
>     rpcclient $> enumprinters
>     rpc_api_pipe: cmd 26 on pipe 7637 failed to return data.
>     result was NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
>
> and this in the logs:
>
>     [2002/05/03 13:25:14, 0] rpc_server/srv_pipe_hnd.c:unmarshall_rpc_header(412)
>       unmarshall_rpc_header: assert on frag length failed.
>
> getprinter <printer> still works, however. This is after having recreated
> the locks directory.

Same issue.  Known limitation in the curent client code.

> PROPERTIES
>
> Moving from 2.2.3a to 2.2.4 has caused some of my printers to be unable
> to display printer properties. When trying to get debug info, I found -d
> 2 provided almost no insights, while -d 3 provided thousands of lines
> information. Does anyone know what I should be looking for?
>
> If anyone wants the smb.conf or any other info, I'll be glad to provide
> it.

A level 10 debug log would help (of the smbd process).  Mail me off
list.

cheers, jerry