Heuristics for finding a Win2K domain controller ...

Norbert Püschel Pueschel.Norbert at Walzbarren-VAW.ne.uunet.de
Mon May 6 07:49:09 GMT 2002

Steve Langasek schrieb:

> > > Is dynamic DNS support absolutely /necessary/?  I.e., will a W2K DC fail
>
> > Yes.
>
> > There is no way you can avoid DDNS if you want to use AD. None.
> > W2K-Clients use
> > DNS to find their servers. (You could make static DNS entries, but this
> > would not be
> > very admin-friendly...)
>
> When it comes to Windows admins, *I'm* not very admin-friendly, either.
> I was specifically asking whether this could be done with static DNS
> entries; I'm glad to hear the answer is yes.

Hi,

I was not referring to windows-admins specifically... :-)

The problem is: in a W2K/AD-environment all services are announced via
DNS-entries,
as opposed to WINS-entries / broadcasts in an NT4-environment. WINS is
only supported for
backward compatibility.

So if Samba wants to emulate a W2K/AD-server it must register those
DNS-entries. The easiest way
to do this is DDNS. Forcing any admin to make static entries for this
will not endear Samba to anyone.

Bye,
  Norbert