Heuristics for finding a Win2K domain controller ...

Norbert Püschel Pueschel.Norbert at Walzbarren-VAW.ne.uunet.de
Sun May 5 23:50:02 GMT 2002

Richard Sharpe schrieb:

> On Fri, 3 May 2002, Norbert Püschel wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > WINS is only used for backward compatibility in Win2K. The DCs are found
> > via their
>
> My original problem was that I did not have WINS properly configured ...
>
> > DNS entries; they have entries of type SRV in _msdcs.your.domain, where
> > your.domain is
> > your DNS domain _and_ your W2K-domain.
> >
> > Your DNS must support dynamic DNS for this to work. W2Ks DNS-server does
> > this, as does BIND 8/9.
>
> Seems like I can use dig to retrieve the entries gc._msdcs.<domain> and
> get back the list of addresses that the PDC? uses?

Uh, I haven't reverse-engineered all those messy SRV-entries yet. The
"gc"-entry is
probably made by the global catalog server. BTW: There is no "PDC" in an
AD-domain...
there is only a PDC-emulator.

Bye,
  Norbert