Usablity of Samba 3.0

Dmitry Borodaenko d.borodaenko at sam-solutions.net
Fri May 3 02:12:02 GMT 2002

On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 10:47:30AM +1000, Matthew Geier wrote:
>  I'm a bit wary however of installing the moving target of a 'alpha'
> samba on a production server.
>  The server is not the PDC, thats another Samba machine, It does however
> serve printers to a small number of people - users with PCs in mac
> dominated area's that have Apple printers that don't speak IP. It does
> sound like printing is one of the faster moving targets :-)

As was told on SambaXP conference (papers and mp3 soon should be on
sambaxp.org), Samba 3.0 file sharing code has undergone very extensive
testing by two NAS developers who put this code into their production
release (<plug>Optifacio ApplianceWare and Quantum SnapServer</plug>).
Thus, it already is stable, and works with Asian languages properly (I
know that it works properly at least with Chinese, Japanese, Hebrew, and
Russian).

However, Samba 2.2 has important improvements to printer sharing code,
that hasn't yet been forward-ported to Samba 3.0. For sharing printers,
you'd better keep Samba 2.2 for a while, and stay tuned.

--
Dmitry Borodaenko