printing from win2k - suddenly wrong paper size

Martin Kaehmer martink-ml at gmx.net
Sun Mar 31 11:04:02 GMT 2002

Hi,

I already posted this mail last week on the samba mailinglist, but didn't
get any response till now. So I post it here again, perhaps one of you guys
know an answer for my problem.

I run samba as PDC and print server for our domain. The printer is an HP
LaserJet 4 Plus (non-postscript,A4), and its drivers were installed on the
server with imprints month ago. These drivers are the german versions from
HP, so they are already preconfigured for A4. Anyway, I configured them to
my needs from an NT4 afterwards (I explicitly set A4 again) and everything
worked alright for the last 9 month or so!! Oh, the printer spooler on the
server is LPRng with no special filter except a page counter that doesn't
touch the print job.

Since the upgrade to 2.2.3a my win2k and winXP users started to complain,
that they suddenly aren't able to print A4 anymore. The printer always asks
them for Letter, which is not installed. The funny thing is that some of
their applications are still able to print A4, but not all of them. This
behaviour is vendor independent, e.g. MS Excel might work, but MS Word on
the same system might not. One hos problems with Netscape, another
one not, etc.

No complains from NT4, win9X or Linux users so far.

any Ideas ??

thanks in advance,
Martin