Samba into kernel

Seitz, Matt mseitz at snapserver.com
Wed Mar 27 15:02:06 GMT 2002

>From: Steve Langasek [mailto:vorlon at netexpress.net]
><quote>
>  However, as a special exception, the source code distributed need not
>  include anything that is normally distributed (in either source or
>  binary form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on)
>  of the operating system on which the executable runs, unless that
>  component itself accompanies the executable.
></quote>

>IOW, even Sun can use this exemption, as long as they don't distribute
>the product that's based on someone else's GPL code together with their
>kernel.

After rereading this section, I agree.

>The real question is whether this exemption even lets you get
>away with GPL kernel modules for a non-GPL kernel.

The more I reread the GPL, the more uncertain I am about this.  The intent
seems to be to both
-allow distributing GPL derived programs without distributing the kernel
source
-require distributing the kernel source if GPL derived code is added to the
kernel

But the language of the GPL makes it hard to determine which conditions
apply in the case of a kernel module.