smbpasswd password changing

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Mar 27 09:57:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Andrew Morgan wrote:
> >
> > I'm using the smbpasswd program inside a perl script to change the
> > password of users on a remote NT4 PDC.  Unfortunately, I keep getting the
> > following error:
> >
> > [root at raven]# /private/samba/bin/smbpasswd -s -r asherah -U my_test1
> > abc123
> > 123abc
> > 123abc
> > unable to open passdb database.
> > ERROR: Unable to locate my_test1 in passdb!
> >
> > Now, raven (this machine, Samba 2.2.3a) is a domain member, running in
> > security = domain mode.  I have no desire to maintain a local smbpasswd or
> > passdb.  Why does smbpasswd insist on trying to update the local password
> > even though I've specified a remote machine?  The remote password change
> > seems to be working even though it throws an error about the local
> > password change.
> >
> > Everything works fine if I don't run smbpasswd as root, because it doesn't
> > try to change the local password.
> >
> > Should I be using something else to change remote passwords?
>
> No, it is just samba preparing for what you *might* do if you run
> smbpasswd as root.  A simple 'touch' of the smbpasswd file should kill
> the error message.

Ok, I've touched the smbpasswd file.  Now I get:

[root at raven]# /private/samba/bin/smbpasswd -s -r asherah -U my_test1
123abc
abc123
abc123
ERROR: Unable to locate my_test1 in passdb!

And smbpasswd is there:

[root at raven]# dir /private/samba/private/
total 32
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     other         96 Mar 27 09:34 .
drwxr-xr-x   9 root     other       4096 Mar 26 08:48 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root          40 Mar 26 08:53 MACHINE.SID
-rw-------   1 root     other       8192 Mar 27 09:42 secrets.tdb
-rw-------   1 root     other          0 Mar 27 09:34 smbpasswd

Now, I understand why it is saying "Unable to locate my_test1 in passdb"
(obviously, there are no entries in smbpasswd), but I still think it
should not be giving me this error when I am changing a remote password.

You can tell me if I am just being dense...  :)

	Andy