smbpasswd password changing

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Tue Mar 26 13:42:02 GMT 2002

I'm using the smbpasswd program inside a perl script to change the
password of users on a remote NT4 PDC.  Unfortunately, I keep getting the
following error:

[root at raven]# /private/samba/bin/smbpasswd -s -r asherah -U my_test1
abc123
123abc
123abc
unable to open passdb database.
ERROR: Unable to locate my_test1 in passdb!

Now, raven (this machine, Samba 2.2.3a) is a domain member, running in
security = domain mode.  I have no desire to maintain a local smbpasswd or
passdb.  Why does smbpasswd insist on trying to update the local password
even though I've specified a remote machine?  The remote password change
seems to be working even though it throws an error about the local
password change.

Everything works fine if I don't run smbpasswd as root, because it doesn't
try to change the local password.

Should I be using something else to change remote passwords?

Thanks,
	Andy