Problem with msdfs root on "virtual" Samba server

John P Janosik jpjanosi at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 26 12:49:01 GMT 2002

We have several Samba servers with access to the same filesystem that we
load balance between with IBM eNetwork Dispatcher software.  We are
currently running Samba 2.2.3a, but this has been working OK for a few
years on past versions of Samba.  We found the following problem when
trying to make a msdfs root share on these servers.

The following check in msdfs/msdfs.c is failing because users will map
drives to \\rchfs\home but the Samba server handling the request will have
a different hostname.

      /* Verify hostname in path */
      if (global_myname && (strcasecmp(global_myname, dp.hostname) != 0)) {
            DEBUG(3, ("get_referred_path: Invalid hostname %s in path
%s\n",
                    dp.hostname, pathname));
            return False;
      }

 I see two ways to try to get around this problem, remove the check or add
an smb.conf parameter that is used to set the value of global_myname.

I have a feeling that neither of these is the right thing to do, does
anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

John Janosik
jpjanosi at us.ibm.com