PHP smbpwd licanse

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Mon Mar 25 15:27:02 GMT 2002

On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 18:40, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 03:58:10PM +0100, Simo Sorce wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but you cannot use the same code released under GPL and include
> > it under a different license. You can however study what the code does
> > and create a complete new code based on the same concepts you learned
> > from the code.
>
> More valuable, I think, would be if it were possible to release a GPLed
> PHP extension that uses these GPLed routines.  Would that be disallowed
> because PHP's license is not GPL-compatible?  Or, since these are
> effectively language bindings, would the GPL only extend to PHP scripts
> using this PHP extension?

If the PHP's Licence is GPL incompatible you will not be able to
redistribute the code. In this case these routines will be like a
library, so any program that uses them must be also made GPL.

> Is there any precedent in the history of Perl modules, for example?

I think there are perl modules that have a GPL license, but they are not
linked with perl, they USE perl and programs that are made out with
these modules should be GPLed.

So if the "extension" we are talking of is only a module like perl
one's, than there is no problem to make it GPL (and use samba code), but
derived programs will have to be GPLed.

> I do remember that the PHP team was not allowed to distribute a
> extension that was built on top of GNU readline; but I don't remember
> whether this was only because they were unwilling to license that
> extension under the GPL.

If the extension is _linked_ with the PHP interpreter code than that is
probably the problem.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce