FreeBSD 5.0-current OpenPAM

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Mon Mar 25 14:35:04 GMT 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 06:08:00PM +0100, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr at inethouston.net> writes:
> > I'm running FreeBSD 5.0-current which I belive is using OpenPAM,
> > which has a few slight differences that are apparent in the build log
> > below.  I've cc'd FreeBSD's pam maintainer, as he thinks it should be
> > PAM_AUTHTOK_RECOVERY_ERR.  Any help would be appreciated.

> Linux-PAM incorrectly spells it PAM_AUTHTOK_RECOVER_ERR, while XSSO,
> Solaris and OpenPAM spell it PAM_AUTHTOK_RECOVERY_ERR.  I haven't
> looked at the code, so it's possible that Samba actually has an #ifdef
> for this, but it probably tests for the common case instead of testing
> for the exception.  Testing for the common case fails on OpenPAM
> because it uses enums instead of preprocessor macros.  Instead of

> #ifdef PAM_AUTHTOK_RECOVERY_ERR
>         /* correct code */
> #else
>         /* Linux bug compatibility */
> #endif

> you should use

> #ifdef PAM_AUTHTOK_RECOVER_ERR
>         /* Linux bug compatibility */
> #else
>         /* correct code */
> #endif

FWIW, recent versions of Linux-PAM also support PAM_AUTHTOK_RECOVERY_ERR
for compatibility purposes; my examination of the headers shows that
nothing special needs to be done to enable this.  I'm inclined to
suggest that any version of Linux-PAM someone might be using that
*doesn't* support this option is so out-of-date and buggy that Samba
need not bother with supporting it.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer