Samba into kernel

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Mar 25 11:04:05 GMT 2002

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 12:28:51PM +0000, David Lee wrote:
>
> > Now if Sun (or equivalent manufacturer) were to do it, and want to
> > maintain their code private, I (though not a lawyer) see how that might
> > well (almost certainly?) breach GPL.  But I'm talking about _us_, the
> > Samba community, writing onto this alternative interface.
>
> Now that's more interesting. I don't think it would be legal for
> Sun to ship such a thing, but I don't think it would be a problem
> for us to ship it as part of Samba and have the administrator perform
> the link.

I think that the more interesting question is what parts of Samba would it
make sense to expect kernel support for, as Jeremey has already hinted at.

Clearly the OpLock stuff and DENY MODE locks etc, can be better done in
the kernel. What other areas? Case independent file name comparison? Name
mangling?

I would think that it makes little sense to try to drive all of Samba into
the kernel.

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,