R codes in Samba wins.dat

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at samba.org
Mon Mar 25 10:22:04 GMT 2002

Claudio Shigueo Watanabe wrote:
|>I want to known what is the R entries in the wins.dat. I search in all the
|>web but I find just a e-mail that you send in the samba-technical mailing
|>list.
|>In your e-mail you explain the e4R and the 64R codes, but I like to know
|>the other R codes like 4R and 44R.
|
|wins.dat file is read when nmbd starts and write-back when nmbd stops.
|So, if you modify wins.dat manually, first you should stop nmbd.
|And then please add entries like:

|"SAMBA#1c" 0 192.168.10.67 192.168.10.43 e4R
|           |                             ~~~ <-- means NetBIOS group name
|           | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ <-- multiple IP addresses is
|           |                                 seperated with a space
|           +-- TTL = 0 means forever

|"DONAU#20" 0 192.168.10.67 64R
|                           ~~~ <-- means NetBIOS unique name
|       ~~ <-- suffix must be written with lower case.
|
|and restart nmbd.

As far as I know, there are no documents.
If you want to know more, please look at wins_write_database() in
source/nmbd/nmbd_winsserver.c and search for NB_GROUP in
source/include/nameserv.h

-----
TAKAHASHI, Motonobu(monyo)         monyo at samba.org
Samba Team - http://samba.org/     Samba-JP - http://www.samba.gr.jp/