PHP smbpwd licanse

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Mon Mar 25 09:42:03 GMT 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 03:58:10PM +0100, Simo Sorce wrote:

> Sorry, but you cannot use the same code released under GPL and include
> it under a different license. You can however study what the code does
> and create a complete new code based on the same concepts you learned
> from the code.

More valuable, I think, would be if it were possible to release a GPLed
PHP extension that uses these GPLed routines.  Would that be disallowed
because PHP's license is not GPL-compatible?  Or, since these are
effectively language bindings, would the GPL only extend to PHP scripts
using this PHP extension?

Is there any precedent in the history of Perl modules, for example?

I do remember that the PHP team was not allowed to distribute a
extension that was built on top of GNU readline; but I don't remember
whether this was only because they were unwilling to license that
extension under the GPL.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer