Error while saving Samba Files- Local Drive name is already i n us e!!!!!!

John Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun Mar 24 06:00:02 GMT 2002

Kamelia Sadeghi Dadgar wrote:
[followups set to the SAMBA mailing list only]

Please do not use the samba-technical mailing list for operational
problems with SAMBA.  It is intended for people who are compiling and
building SAMBA and discussions relating to that.

> Sorry the Error message didnt come through:
>
> Windows:
> An error occured while reconnecting I: to \\pelican\itc2
> Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use.
> This connection has not been restored

I have seen this on an entirely Microsoft network.  So it appears that
in this case SAMBA is compatable :-)

It usually requires at the client side to disconnect from I: and
reconnecting it again.

It is a good idea in a login script that the client runs when logging
into a domain to verify a drive is mapped properly by testing access to
a file on it.  If the access is not successful, then to disconnect and
reconnect the drive.

Some people just put a NET USE command in the login script, and ignore
the error it returns when the drive is already mapped.  This works most
of the time.

[Note: I do not subscribe to the SAMBA mailing list, and I will likely
only to give reasonably accurate answers to questions about running
SAMBA on OpenVMS.  Do not send me UNIX/LINUX questions, as I do not use
them.  Posting the the SAMBA mailing list will likely get a better and
definitely a faster answer than e-mailing me directly]

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only